Memorial to the 80,000 Jewish Victims of the Holocaust from Bohemia and Moravia
Pinkas Synagogue is dedicated to the Jewish victims of the Holocaust
from Bohemia and Moravia; their names are inscribed on the walls of
the main nave and adjoining areas. The interior of the synagogue comprises
Memorial 77,297, which was designed and executed by the painters Václav
Boštík (b. 1913) and Jiří John (1923-1972) between 1954 and 1959. The
memorial was closed in 1968, however, since the building was in an increasingly
poor state of repair. After remaining closed for a long time, the building
was eventually reconstructed and, following the collapse of the Communist
regime, a project was launched to renovate the memorial, which reopened
On both sides of the Holy Ark
(aron ha-kodesh) are recorded the names of some of the ghettos and camps
where Bohemian and Moravian Jews were deported and, in most cases, exterminated.
This memorial is a long epitaph commemorating the names of those for
whom a tombstone could not be erected.
© 2004 - 2008 Jewish Museum in Prague