Max (Maximilian) Horb (1982-1907), Portrait of a Boy, 1900
oil on canvas, 76 x 60 cm (89 x 73.5 cm)
Signed and dated LL: M. Horb / 1900
1. After 1900: July 20, 1942, Klára Schönbergerová, Prague (1)
2. July 20, 1942 – July 8, 1944, Prague Treuhandstelle
3. July 8, 1944 – May 8, 1945, Central Jewish Museum in Prague
4. After May 8, 1945, Jewish Museum in Prague
July 9 of this year marks 130 years since the birth of Prague Jewish artist, and member of The Eight (2), Max Horb. After graduating Gymnasium he studied law at Prague University. His training as a painter came later, at the Academy of Fine Arts in Prague from 1903 to 1906 under the tutelage of Rudolf Bém and František Thiele. During a career cut short by death in December 1907, he was constantly abroad and had a number of residencies, spending much of his time in Munich after 1906. In the same year he participated in the legendary first Prague exhibition of The Eight, his contribution to the show consisting of four paintings, of which A Munich Square is presently in the collection of the National Gallery in Prague. In 1908, Krasoumná jednota [The Fine Arts Union] organized a posthumous retrospective exhibition of his work, and this was accompanied by an album of 22 reproductions put together by fellow Jewish painter Jiří Kars and published by Carl Bellmann with the support of Horb’s friends. Max Horb is buried at the New Jewish Cemetery in Prague. The headstone with a bereaved peacock is the work of the great Czech sculptor Jan Šursa.
(1) Klára Schönbergerová, born Aug. 27, 1877, transport AAs, no. 584 (July 20, 1942, Prague to Terezín); transport AAy, no. 856 (July 28, 1942, Terezín to Baranovichi), perished. Her last address before being deported to Terezín was on Eliška Krásnohorská Street 5 (Krásnohorskágasse), Prague 1, Protectorate reg. no. 38882.
(2) A loose grouping of originally eight artists comprising, in addition to Horb: Emil Filla, Otakar Kubín, Bohumil Kubišta, Antonín Procházka, Bedřich Feigl, Willy Nowak, and Emil Arthur Pitterman-Longen. Vincenc Beneš and Linka Scheithauerová-Procházkova joined them in 1908. The group’s two exhibitions programmatically broke with Academicism and announced their support for the progressive currents in European art, Expressionism and Fauvism in particular.