Home page Contact us info for visitors web's map • printable • česká verze
2 Spanish Synagogue
  

Spanish Synagogue

 

Spanish SynagogueThe Spanish Synagogue was built in 1868 on the site of the oldest Prague Jewish house of prayer ("the Old Shul"). It was designed in a Moorish style by Vojtěch Ignátz Ullmann. The synagogue has a regular square plan with a large dome surmounting the central space. On three sides there are galleries on metal structures, which fully open onto the nave. The remarkable interior decoration features a low stucco arabesque of stylized Islamic motifs which are also applied to the walls, doors and gallery balustrades. The interior, together with the stained glass windows, were designed by architects A. Baum and B. Munzberg and completed in 1893. František Škroup, the composer of the Czech national anthem, served as organist here in 1836-45.

By reopening the Spanish Synagogue - closed for over 20 years - on the 130th anniversary of its establishment, the Jewish Museum in Prague has completed one of its most ambitious projects to date.

CONCERTS:Spanish Synagogue - interior
Concerts in the Spanish Synagogue

EXHIBITION:
The second part of the permanent exhibition History of the Jews in Bohemia and Moravia - from Emancipation to the Present follows on from the exhibition in the Maisel Synagogue

Upper-floor prayer hall - Synagogue Silver from Bohemia and Moravia

 

 

 

© 2004 - 2008 Jewish Museum in Prague