Jewish Museum in Prague

Česky

Spanish Synagogue 

The Spanish Synagogue was built in 1868 on the site of the oldest Prague Jewish house of prayer ("the Old Shul"). It was designed in a Moorish style by Vojtěch Ignátz Ullmann. The synagogue has a regular square plan with a large dome surmounting the central space. On three sides there are galleries on metal structures, which fully open onto the nave. The remarkable interior decoration features a low stucco arabesque of stylized Islamic motifs which are also applied to the walls, doors and gallery balustrades. The interior, together with the stained glass windows, were designed by architects A. Baum and B. Munzberg and completed in 1893. František Škroup, the composer of the Czech national anthem, served as organist here in 1836-45.

By reopening the Spanish Synagogue - closed for over 20 years - on the 130th anniversary of its establishment, the Jewish Museum in Prague has completed one of its most ambitious projects to date.

CONCERTS:
Concerts in the Spanish Synagogue

 EXHIBITION:
The second part of the permanent exhibition History of the Jews in Bohemia and Moravia - from Emancipation to the Present follows on from the exhibition in the Maisel Synagogue

Upper-floor prayer hall - Synagogue Silver from Bohemia and Moravia

 

 

Home  About us  Information for visitors  Exhibitions  Robert Guttmann Gallery  Education and Culture Centre  News  Cultural Programmes and Public Services Newsletter  Shop