The Spanish Synagogue is the most recent synagogue in the Prague Jewish Town.
Built in 1868 for the local Reform congregation on the site of the 12th-century Altschul, which was the oldest synagogue in the Prague ghetto.
It was called the Spanish Synagogue for its impressive Moorish interior design, influenced by the famous Alhambra. The building was designed by Josef Niklas and Jan Bělský, the remarkable interior (from 1882–83) by Antonín Baum and Bedřich Münzberger.
František Škroup, the composer of the Czech national anthem, served as organist here in 1836-45.
The History of the Jews in Bohemia and Moravia, Part 2
This exhibition deals with the history of the Jews in the Bohemian lands from the reforms of Joseph II in the 1780s to the period after the Second World War.
It highlights the gradual advancement toward greater equality and emancipation for Jews in Austria-Hungary, describes the foundation of the Czech-Jewish and Zionist movements, and profiles the most important Jewish entrepreneurs, scientists, writers, musicians and artists (including Franz Kafka, Sigmund Freud and Gustav Mahler). It also deals with the redevelopment of the Prague Jewish Town, Jewish sites of Bohemia and Moravia, and the history of the Jewish Museum in Prague. Special focus is on the Shoah of Jews from Bohemia and Moravia, and the Terezín ghetto. More about the exhibition
- Included in the Tours of the Jewish Museum and Prague Jewish Town
- Disabled access: yes (platform lift)
- The ticket counter, museum shop and toilet facilities are in the synagogue vestibule.
- Regular services – for more information, see www.kehilaprag.cz
- Celebrations of Jewish festivals and important days.
- Regular chamber concerts and other cultural events
Video & 3D tour
Where to find us
Vězeňská 1, 110 00, Prague 1