120

120 years: Secrets of the Smíchov synagogue

2026, July 17One part of our collections that continues to grow steadily is the Archive. It comprises documents from Jewish communities, safe-conduct passes, estates of prominent individuals, and personal records of war victims.

Most of these extensive collections are housed in the Smíchov Synagogue, an inconspicuous building located opposite the Anděl shopping centre. The Archive is accessible only to researchers; however, this will change in November of this year. On two occasions—3 November and 8 November—guided tours of the premises will be held (on 3 November at 5:00 pm, and on 8 November at 11:00 am and 2:00 pm).

The Reform Smíchov Synagogue was built in 1863 in the Neo-Romanesque style. It replaced the first synagogue of the Smíchov Jewish community, which had fallen into such a dilapidated condition just three years after its construction that it posed a danger to its visitors. The funds for the new building were donated by the then mayor of Smíchov and founder of the nearby carriage works, Franz Ringhoffer.

Its present appearance is the result of a Functionalist reconstruction completed in 1931. The building has served as the seat of the Archive of the Jewish Museum in Prague since 2004.

Darujte Odebírejte Newsletter
<
>
27
28
29
30
31
1
 
 
2
 
 
3
 
 
4
 
 
5
 
 
6
 
 
7
8
 
 
9
 
 
10
 
 
11
 
 
12
 
 
13
 
 
14
15
 
 
16
 
 
17
 
 
18
 
 
19
 
 
20
 
 
21
22
 
 
23
 
 
24
 
 
25
 
 
26
 
 
27
 
 
28
29
 
 
30
 
 
31
1
2
3
4
5
6
[Incident2.png] Kudyznudy.cz – nejlepší začátek výletu [homepage-banner/CZbannerKohlovadiscount2018.jpg]